SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Hall of Fame athletes, World Series champions, NCAA All-Americans and Olympic medalists are among the 12 celebrities who will visit South Dakota for 2019 Hy-Vee/Sanford Legends. The event runs June 13-26 at venues around Sioux Falls.
The following coaches and athletes will participate in the Legends Banquet and their respective free clinics:
• Bill Walton, Hall of Fame center (Basketball)
• Kirk Hinrich, NBA guard, NCAA All-American (Basketball)
• Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame catcher (Baseball)
• Kent Hrbek, 2-time World Series champion (Baseball)
• Tim Laudner, World Series champion (Baseball)
• Kyle Rudolph, Pro Bowl tight end (Football)
• Chad Greenway, Former Pro Bowl NFL linebacker (Football)
• Gigi Marvin, Olympic gold medalist (Hockey)
• Ryan Bader, Bellator Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight World Champion (Wrestling)
• Courtney Thompson, 2-time Olympic medalist, NCAA champion (Volleyball)
• Butch Lumpkin, motivational speaker, golf and tennis athlete (Golf)
• Ben Nguyen, MMA fighter (Martial Arts)
The Hy-Vee/Sanford Legends program provides learning opportunity for young student-athletes to grow and be inspired in the world of sports by providing different sporting clinics and camps. Each year, celebrity athletes who represent the Legends goals—quality, integrity and character—are brought to Sioux Falls.
The sessions are conducted by professional athletes and the region’s best college and high school coaches who have been recognized as positive role models on and off the field. Parents and coaches also participate in clinics designed to help them further understand their role as mentors while sharpening their coaching skills.
Last year, Hy-Vee/Sanford Legends and Celebrity Football Camp raised a record $220,000 for the Legends Grant Program for area communities. Since 2005, Hy-Vee/Sanford Legends has raised nearly $2.1 million.
Legends is continuing its scholarship program in 2019. The Legends for Kids Scholarship is a $5,000 award given to nine outstanding graduating seniors who have demonstrated exceptional character and leadership in athletics, school and community involvement. The scholarship program was created by Hy-Vee, Sanford, First PREMIER and other valuable sponsors to be used for post-secondary education.
Participants are strongly encouraged to register in advance at LegendsForKids.com to ensure they get the proper t-shirt size.
Online Information and Registration:
• Legends: LegendsforKids.com
• Celebrity Football Camp: sanfordsports.com/legends
2019 Hy-Vee/Sanford Legends Schedule
Date Camp Time Location
June 13 Legends Golf Clinic 1-3 p.m. Minnehaha Golf Range
June 13 Legends Banquet 5-9:30 p.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 14 Legends Golf Tournament* 9 a.m. Willow Run, Prairie Green, Brandon & Grand Falls Casino Golf Course
June 14 Legends Tennis Clinic 9-11 a.m. Huether Family Match Pointe
June 14 Legends Soccer Clinic 9-11 a.m. Sanford Fieldhouse
June 14 Legends Hockey Clinic 10 a.m.-noon SCHEELS IcePlex
June 14 Legends Football Clinic 1-3 p.m. Kirkeby-Over Stadium
June 14 Legends Cheer Clinic 1-3 p.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 14 Legends Baseball/Softball Clinic 3:30-5:30 p.m. Sanford Fieldhouse
June 14 Legends Volleyball Clinic 6-8 p.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 14 Legends Martial Arts Clinic 6:30 – 8 p.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 15 Legends Basketball Clinic 9-11 a.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 15 Legends Free Lunch 11 a.m.-noon Sanford Pentagon
June 15 Legends Wrestling Clinic 12:30-2:30 p.m. Sanford Pentagon
June 15 Legends Gymnastics Clinic 12:30-2:30 p.m. Power & Grace
June 24-26 Celebrity Football Camp* Kirkeby-Over Stadium/
Sanford Sports Complex
* registration required